Strawberry and yoghurt cake
Serve this cake warm from the oven with a spoonful of honey flavoured Greek yogurt, crème fraiche or ice cream for an extra special coffee morning treat or afternoon fundraiser.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
40 g (11/2 oz) sugar lumps
100 g (4 oz) self-raising white flour
100 g (4 oz) self-raising wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
175 g (6 oz) caster sugar
50 g (2 oz) butter
150 g (5 oz) natural yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
450g (1lb) strawberries, hulled, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4. Lightly brush the base and sides of a 23 cm (9 inch) springform tin with a little oil and line the base with a circle of non-stick baking paper the same size.
- Rub the sugar lumps one by one over the orange to flavour them with the natural oil in the rind then roughly crush the lumps with a rolling pin or in a pestle and mortar. Remove the orange rind from the orange with a peeler then chop. (Use the orange flesh for another recipe or eat as a cook’s perk.)
- Add the flours, baking powder, salt and sugar to a mixing bowl. Heat the butter in a small bowl in the microwave or in a saucepan until just melted. Mix the yogurt, vanilla and eggs in a smaller bowl then add to the flour, pour in the butter then add half the chopped orange rind. Mix briefly until just smooth.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin, spread flat with a round bladed knife then arrange the strawberries over the top in a random pattern and sprinkle with the remaining chopped orange rind and crushed sugar lumps. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes until well risen, golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out cleanly. Check after 30-40 minutes and cover the top loosely with foil if the top of the cake seems to be browning too quickly.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes then remove from the tin, peel away the lining paper then cut into wedges and serve warm.